View Single Post
      10-03-2017, 01:20 AM   #11
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
When using a piggyback like the JB4, yes the DCT clutches would probably be slipping. However, when properly tuned using a flash tune (in this case BM3), the DCT can handle a lot more torque.

This is because with a JB4, the DME isn't communicating actual load and torque values to the DCT's TCU and thus the DCT doesn't apply the correct amount of clamping force to the clutch packs. With a properly tuned flash, the DME is properly reporting load/torque to the TCU and therefore the DCT applies the correct amount of clamping force to the clutch packs. Using the GTS TCU flash also helps as well and is highly recommended.

The above is really the Achilles Heal of the JB4 and piggybacks, in general ( among other things).
I see.

I'm sure I'm not making enough torque to have DCT slippage, but I am interested in this topic since I plan on going Pure Stage 2 turbos eventually. I'm currently running a custom bootmod3 map where bootmod3 is being ran as a BEF, and the JB4 is the port injector controller/boost controller. If I could, I would've used bootmod3 as the port controller but I purchased the PI kit used, and the originally purchaser opted for the JB4 being integrated into the kit as the controller.

Even with bootmod3 acting as a BEF and the JB4 being at the helm, can I still flash the GTS TCU that's found on bootmod3? I actually didn't flash it when I first flashed the custom map from PTF, and I haven't even really been able to drive it much due to issues with a fuel injector, but I think I'll flash the GTS TCU again just for good measure.. or is it moot since the JB4 is there?

Apologies for the ignorance and derailing your thread Tom! And thank you for any insight Cary
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0