View Single Post
      07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #112
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

FN is asked a specific question if the M4 will be lighter than the 435i.

He answered "Absolutely" and as far as I know every single item he lists is a differentiator to the 435i. Why would he omit to mention some of them just because some are in the E90 M3? He wasn't asked what is new or what differs to the E90 M3. I see no issue with his answer, on contrariry it is extremely exciting. Ligth weight crash zones, use of magnesium, CF trunk. To me this signals that they have been serious about weight.

The high rpm parts in the powertrain intrigues me since that signals that there are lighter materials than used in the N55. I wonder where and what.

I also disagree with the notion that the M3 is all about maximizing profit for this specific car. The M3 is an icon and a halo car for BMW. It's more about securing and strenghtening their brand and thereby reap longterm benefits and profit across the entire BMW lineup. I.e I think BMW is willing to go further to make this the car as they want it even if it means to eat some of the max profit per sold M3 unit.

All in all reading this interview made me very, very happy. I'm now truly excited about this car. BMW and M as we know it seems to be back, at least for the M3.

Last edited by solstice; 07-20-2013 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0