ARM3AN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3AN View Post
Yeah I told him! He had never sold a car before and thinks its up to me to do smog and all that... it's hard to convince him that it's actually his job. He won't accept it. I think I'll pass on the car now. It sounds like a headache waiting to happen. Thank you bro!
Well, technically yes, at the end of the day it's on you to make sure your car passes smog if you buy the car. Seller is completely within his right to sell the car as-is.

But finding someone who will buy the car in such a state is another story. If it is indeed $3000 in maintenance/repairs, add another $200-350 for downpipe replacement, JB4 can be DIY removed, but you don't know if you have more expenses coming until the car is back to stock state. O2 sensors aren't a big deal, but depending on which one, it may run you another couple hundred dollars, which is an unpredictable expense.

It's not really a "huge" gamble per se, but a 26k M3 may end up costing you close to 30k in the worst case. At the very least, I think it's a fair compromise in the negotiation to put stock downpipes back on if it means a sale.
Yeah I agree with you but he keeps saying oh just buy it buy. I told him dude if it costs me 30k I don't even know about crank hubs or the state of your turbos. He hasn't changed anything in engine since the car came out based on records. Just valve gasket cover. So I'm guessing sparks and ignition coils etc are due soon. Car fax showed only fluids and oil changes..
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50