07-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #71
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
26-19=10 ???

(i.e. OEM 19" M3 rear wheel weight - TE37SL 10.5" weight = 7 lb)

Also, there is no way BMW will ship an OEM rear M3 wheel that weighs even 19 lb. So again, no, 10 lb per wheel is not possible. Perhaps technically possible with composites or something $$$, but not possible from BMW as an OEM part.
So maybe not 40 lbs but say 20 lbs just by lighter wheels and then say 50 lbs with lighter seats and you have a good start without even touching the chassi. Progress isn't made by engineers and companies being so negative and restricted by status que and thoughts like "can't be done", "not going to happen", "too expensive" etc. Progress is made by people who set goals and then make it happen. More remarkable things has been done than building a 3300 lbs car when you have the strength, knowledge and power of BMW. Germany like the US are very good at that kind of free thinking and "just do it" attitude. There are many vendors who will bend backwards to become BMW suppliers and I think BMW need the M3 to be a halo car. Maybe I have too high opinion of BMW and M, time will tell.

I'm pretty sure the same negative outlook would have been given if someone said that the E60 M5 and E90 M3 would have the engines they got before it was known. An M unique engine? V10?, V8 M3?, What redline? Not going to happen, followed by the price of similar cars and the cost involved etc. This time it's primarily about the weight not the engine and that's BMW's own statement not mine.

Last edited by solstice; 07-18-2013 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0