12-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #18
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Update: Just got my car back from my fabricator. V2 design in attached photo.

Changes from V1 include:
- smaller muffler
- changed exit side pipe from 4.0 in -> 3.0 in, matching the entrance side pipe
- Changed exhaust tip style from 1 single walled 4.0 inch tip to 2 x 4.0 inch double walled rolled tip

Goals of V2 Design:
- Reduce bassier frequencies and boominess
- Eliminate 3500 RPM rasp/resonance
- Make exhaust louder

Results of V2 Design:
- Exhaust is louder, in such an awesome way. No increased drone from V1, but a reduction of bassier frequencies and replaced with higher pitched tones. In my opinion, it sounds just like an RB26 from the inside and out, up to about 4000 RPM. After that, the tone goes nuts. I'm not super familiar with the N54/55 tones, but to me it sounds like a 2JZ if it was a little muddier/dirtier. But it doesn't sound as mechanical as the V1 tone, at least from my initial observations.

- 3500 RPM rasp/resonance is still there. But somehow it isn't louder than before at least from the inside, and since the exhaust as a whole is louder, it gets drowned out a little better. Not perfect, but eh, I'll take it.

The car is louder now, but that just makes driving with windows down on the 30 minute drive home in 45 degree Chicago weather all the more worth it. Even accelerating lightly from a stop puts a huge grin on my face.

Luckily, my fabricator had a GoPro in the shop, so we stuck it on the bumper and drove around for a bit. I'm waiting for the video, but we listened to it on the shop speakers after pulling back in, and from what I heard today - it's good. It's very, very good. He's supposed to send me the video sometime soon - I'll get it up on YouTube as soon as I can - you all need to hear this. I couldn't be more excited to share this with all of you who are following.
Lemme heart it. I'm excited for this.
Appreciate 0