07-08-2015, 07:18 AM   #20
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3car View Post
In my opinion, most of the vendors on this forum, the majority of the time dont really offer forum members a real discount. I have tried to use the PM system and compared to what is advertised on their own websites and is the same price. I then call them directly to see if I get a discount due to a post on this forum and they mention that it is already the lowest or discounted price. In effect not offering any discount to members. I think I have purchased 1 or 2 items where the discount was significant. Other items I just look through ebay or Amazon which are noticeably cheaper.
Completely agree. I have bought several items from a few vendors here and there was no savings via pm. It was stated that the price was firm or already "discounted".
As this is a forum, to vend here should require all to post prices. I understand JL M3's point but the way it is now I think the vendors benefit more while the consumer loses. I've decided to not use any vendors here and just search the internets to find the best price.

A forum like TRF which has sellers of luxury watches.....all post the pricing on the item, there's a standard price, period, and just like car dealerships, the price may be posted but it's up to the customer to negotiate and with a posted price he knows where to start from, not a childish pm and tweet ten vendors to get a price only to be told by nine of them that the price is MSRP, or as posted on their website.

If there's an issue with a vendor fearing to be undercut privately then that is due to the fact that we have this rule of price secrecy, if all prices were posted by all, there wouldn't be this secret underbidding concern, you would post your price to draw the customer to you and then negotiate from there or not. As far as manufacturer's pricing, that is also a voided concern, because if the manufacturer doesn't allow you to discount then why hide the msrp. Fact is the vendors are buying at cost and then selling at a profit margin, there is where the negotiation of a price takes place.
Rolex is tyrannical about controlling their price and will pull AD licensing if they discover there merchandise being publicly discounted, however there are discounts to be had but it will come from the AD's pocket not Rolex and that discount to that customer will be what was negotiated, in person, and the paperwork Rolex receives on the sale will likely not show that the discount came from the MSRP but from sales tax or shipping, etc....and it isn't fraud, if done correctly without actually omitting numbers.
Appreciate 0