View Single Post
      01-17-2020, 06:24 PM   #488
Ducfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

An M340 or whatever is most certainly not an M3 nor is the current M3 what an M3 used to be. The only thing special about an M3 or M5 was that it was once the top trim level you could buy for the road. It no longer is. That’s an M3 Competition Plus CSL or whatever it is now.

As far as I know Porsche invented this game. “Carrera” was once bestowed only upon a car of mythical status, performance and rarity. Now it is the base model. Pandering to the equity built by legend into the name and initiating a never ending need to create the next top model as the legend is diluted.

I’m not against modifying cars to improve performance. I do it. But no amount of modification makes the second level trim more than the top even if it’s faster. Any car can be made to go fast but the top factory trim is the top factory trim. Period. Only thing you could do is start with the top trim and modify it. But why? You want the status of the top trim which everyone covets but won’t admit.....and you like tinkering.....and you have the money to do it.

FYI I am a BMW fan and previous owner of several M3s and M5s just took a break but thinking I’ll be back with the next M3...think I’ll like the big schnoz
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50