View Single Post
      07-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #174
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
It fell flat on its face at top because the car was tuned exceptionally rich from the factory and pulled boost at high RPM.

Let me tell you that once a N54 car is tuned properly it can pull very hard all the way to high RPMs. I am no fan of the comatose ride and driving experience of the 335i but that engine is an absolute gem.

I want to see the technical specifications of the S55 turbo vs the N54 turbo. My guess is that the S55 turbo is smaller, spools faster, is more efficient, but cannot flow as much as the N54 turbo which I believe was good for up to 400 whp if i am not mistaken. I do not think that the S55 turbo will be capable of that much power over stock and I would expect that there is going to be a healthy market for plug-n-play turbo upgrade kits for the F80/F82.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
We will find out but no n54 car continues to make powerl to redline on pump without new turbos, and it certainly can't rev as high. These turbos clearly allow more boost to be held to redline in stock form . Considering they have to be able to perform at high altitude , high temperature and poor gas quality environments, I am certain the car can be tuned to push harder at all rpms even without hardware upgrades. With hardware upgrades it should certainly pull harder up top.

Only one way to find out

Edit : that said, I have a lot of love for the n54
Comparing the N54, what I want to understand is how does the S55 boost 18psi on lower grade fuel, good for 420+whp in stock form, and already seeing boost upped to 24psi with tuning for higher octane to reach 480whp? Pretty amazing engine the S55 is. The N54 needs meth or race gas + FBO and maybe upgraded turbos.

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0