04-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #16
Tanzif80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
+1 to everything you said.

I have an 03 996 turbo with a few more minor mods and the X factor for me is when something breaks. I sheared first gear off the main shaft (power adders + cup 2) and it was like $8k to fix (5th got damaged too), and of that, just the first gear and mainshaft was a $3k part.

I have had minor stuff like cam sensor go (and it was on the side of the engine that’s closer to the firewall, so need a lift, and couple of hours shop labor to take off a bunch of stuff to get to it.

I had an f80 before that, and it was an order of magnitude difference in cost to track a full warranty free maintenance f80 than an old turbo. Lol.

My $0.02 OP, if you want to just keep it stock and drive it hard, would be to try and find a 6gt3 or 7gt3 that has been well maintained and try your very best to keep it shiny side up. With a 7gt3 you will probably get back close to what you paid, but maintenance will be good amount because little things add up.

Lastly, consider getting a 7cup for $50k or renting time in one and doing arrive and drive if you are only doing 6 days a year.
+1
I bought my 996 at the bottom of the depreciation curve. If you can find a 996 gt3 or even a 997 gt3 you can drive the heck out of it, have fun, maintain it and when you get tired of it sell it for minimal loss. I’m going to keep the f80 a while because I love everything it does until the 991 gt3 gets into my range.
Appreciate 0