View Single Post
      02-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Here's some more info that I spitballed with a friend.

Quote:
friend:
so when you say the steering coding is the same as M2 and GTS, does that mean the zcp is the same too
since the configurator says "Direct steering ratio" lol

me:
[finds link]
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=960886
"the torsion bar measures the torque applied by the driver and in turn controls the EPS motor. The angle is applied by the driver, while the power is provided in part by the EPS motor."
...to me that sounds a lot like the settings changes, if the parts are the same, are more of a function of the input damping parameters from steering wheel to the EPS controller/motor.
and perhaps on normal cars there was "a lot" of damping/input slow-down (or straight bypass filtering) near center.
[...]
The M2 and GTS are the same in that there's this field with german words surrounding the word "variant", and the value it's set to says both M2 and M4GTS; both names are in the same choice.

friend:
gotcha, looks like the official steering ratio of the m2, m3, m4/gts are all 15:1
so it's probably just the damping
like you mentioned
Also, the ZCP has tighter steering, not just the GTS, as per BMW's own ZCP verbiage in their new configurator:
Quote:
Experience pure high-performance and ultimate motorsport feel with the specially developed Competition Package. The enhanced dynamics deliver faster acceleration (-0.1s for 0-60 mph), which come from a horsepower increase of +19 to 444hp (vs. 425), more direct steering ratio, Adaptive M Suspension with new settings in all 3 modes, New DSC setting and New setting for Active M Differential.
Appreciate 0