Quote:
Originally Posted by kim@supremepower View Post
Bilstein B16 Damptronics EDC Coilover Driving Impressions

The numbers:

Post installation ride height measured from center cap to top of fender:
Front: 13.5”
Rear: 12.5”
Front clearance (measured from bottom of splitter to ground): 4.25”

Wheels: Work wheels 20x9.5 (F) 20x11 (R) on factory Michelin Super Sports (Comp wheels)

Installation is pretty straightforward, nothing new here if you’re familiar with installing suspension on this chassis. The great thing about this Bilstein kit and it’s selling point, is that it is “plug and play” into the factory EDC system. No codes or coding out, just a smooth transition into the functionality of EDC. As always with installation, be sure to use caution and not pinch any of the wiring harness. Plan about 4-5 hours to do this properly and have time to adjust your ride heights.

Initial Driving impressions:

A little background on myself: 2018 F80, Competition package, 6 speed manual. When I wasn’t in a phase in my life where I was driving a “Mom mobile” it was always important for me to be able to feel the road I drive on. I can’t stand floaty suspension, it feels so unsafe to me. I drive my car only in Sport +. It’s all or nothing with me. I am also an on-ramp hunter and love to drive my F80 to its full potential. Also my daily driver and kid hauler.

Since acquiring the car I’ve never had it in any other mode other than Sport+, so I can’t give you an impressions on how it rides in Comfort and Sport mode. I went from EMD springs to the Bilstein kit. So it’s literally a night and day difference for me. With the Bilstein kit and EDC set to Sport +, it’s a solid ride. The car feels absolutely planted on the road. When I was riding on springs only, there were always parts on certain roads that I would “brace” for. I no longer need to brace for anything. I decided last night to take the roads I avoided on my way home, and just mob them with this new set up. Handled like a champ. This suspension just handles it, while keeping your car stable and planted.

The last 10 miles of my drive in this morning, I switched to comfort mode. It’s hard to really judge when you are driving freeway miles. In general I feel like it’s hard to really even judge the comfort settings unless you specifically take it on some technical roads or canyons. Either way you won’t find me out of Sport +. I feel like my car is a whole new beast with this proper set up. Hope this gives you all a little insight on this set up.
Thank you for your review. A lot of people have been looking forward to this day.

You have the rarest set of F80 dampers in the United States; the main selling point of which is that they will integrate with the OEM EDC. But you never drive in any other setting than Sport +?
Appreciate 1