View Single Post
      06-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Both cars are going to depreciate with mileage, but the GTS might suffer less of a hit. Nobody knows how the GTS market will resolve in 3-5 years, I'm just hoping for only a -10% to -20% depreciation hit, anything better than that is a win.

If you remove the front splitter, the GTS would be a perfectly workable daily driver with some caveats.

The suspension is not compliant, concrete roads with expansion joints make my wife motion sick. You might be able to adjust the compression/rebound settings to dampen that out, but I've left them in the settings that was working at the track.

There are some inconveniences compared to my other BMWs. Very minor, but no comfort access is slightly annoying. I get groceries in mine and every time I forget to unlock the car as I walk up to it. Not a lot of storage in the car which would also make road trips a minor pain. There is constantly stuff in my passenger footwell and the drink cup holders. Fuel economy is terrible, I average under 15mpg, but I'm also not highway cruising in the car.

All that being said the car is an absolute blast, and it feels very unique compared to the other F8x. If you're on the fence about a GTS, buy one and drive it for the summer. Unless the global economy turns into a dumpster fire you'll likely be able to get close to break-even reselling it. Just be aware most of the cars are coming up on 4 years, so if you want to extend the factory warranty then that'll be another cost.

Lastly, the more I drive this car, the more I see it sticking around for a while. Even if I buy a GT3/GT4, the GTS is quite different and worth keeping around. It is just a very special car compared to a M4 ZCP. I never drove a M4 CS, but I'm guessing without the titanium exhaust, the suspension, and the stripped interior, it just wouldn't feel the same.
Appreciate 2