View Single Post
      05-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #147
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The only reason to do it is if the car is faster by letting the engine rev to ~8k. This would mean one of two things:

- The engine is still capable of making more power at that RPM.

- The engine's power peak comes before 8k RPM, but the decrease in power above that point is offset by targeting a higher RPM for the next gear change.

One thing we can be sure of is that BMW will not produce an engine that revs to nearly 8K RPM at the expense of performance.
Yes... can't argue anything here. Except the first one is nearly impossible without an amount of work that BMW will not put into a 60K car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That is vastly oversimplifying the issue. In fact, the dependencies are many and the technical challenges are complex, but the fact of the matter is that it is physically possible to build a high revving turbocharged engine that makes peak power at the top end of the rev band.

It may be true that if you or I started with an off-the-shelf N55 and began swapping turbos and playing with the ECU, we are unable get max power at ~7900 RPM. But then that isn't what BMW is going to do. None of us know just what is in store for the S55 yet. All we know is there will be multiple turbochargers.
Sure, it's physically possible... look at stroked evo's that rev to 11k with large turbos. The problem there is, the motor is very laggy and not torquey at all making responsiveness and daily driving near unbearable. The only way this is remotely possible is playing with turbo sizing and running two sequential turbos or some sort of tri setup that we do not know of. Any way you look at it... I highly doubt BMW will put that much effort to solve such a difficult challenge into this motor.