View Single Post
      03-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It could be possible I I think it will be too costly. If the engines will be different, I however think they will be based on the same one, like X5 M vs. M5. I know the 3.3l I6 is not easy to understand, because if it is true the engine is not based on N55. Could it be they decided to base this engine on the V8 but make an I6, cut the engine in two longitudinally in two, get an I4, add two cylinders and get an I6, but in this way we already know for sure what engine the M2 is getting. The X3 M will not come until the will be an X4 M. Nor will there be any Z4 M this generation. So the M3 will still get a new engine, and it will not be made from parts of the bin as there are going to be no more, if to think about N54 and S65. IMO there can be only two ways: 3.0-3.2l I6 based on N55 or 3.3l V6 based on S63. The last variant possible is the one I mentioned above, only if both N55 was not enough good and they still did not want to go the V6 route. Some insider said the M3 would get I6 and the M4 V6, but also this is hardly believable, as the I6 will still have costed R&D and for only one model. To cut costs down, all M3 Sedan, M3 Touring (if it comes), M3 GranTourer (if they change their mind) M4 Coupé, M4 Convertible, M4 GranCoupé, M4 GranShooting (if it comes), X3 M (if it has time), X4 M and Z4 M (thought maybe not E89) would all get the same engine. Afterall that is the same case for the M5 Sedan, M5 Touring (if it still comes), M6 Coupé, M6 Convertible, M6 GranCoupé (which is coming), M6 GranShooting (which could come), X5 M, X6 M and any possible BMW supercar (M1) or luxury roadster (Z8).
Appreciate 0