View Single Post
      08-08-2015, 12:20 AM   #64
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosman8 View Post
I am completely stock, and BMW is saying (after the Data Dump they did) that the car was over revved at 7722 rpm at 152 mph. I had the car in Sport throttle setting, not Sport+. For those F8X savvy owners out there, or 6MT owners, you'll know that in Sport the car won't rev match if the selected gear will result in an over rev of the engine on the downshift. It will leave the rpms at 700 and make you wind the engine to meet the gear by grinding your clutch basically, but in that time your speed will have dropped and hopefully you will be within the rpms of that selected gear. Now, I never did that. I'm not stupid. The point that I'm making is that with Sport throttle setting, it is damn near impossible to over rev the engine unless you straight clutch dump at high speed to a lower gear. WHICH I DID NOT DO. Nor did I downshift to a gear that the car did not auto-rev match itself.
Any car with a manual transmission can be mechanically over revved by putting the car in too low of a gear for a given road speed. However, in your case, an over rev of 7722 is very minor and should not even be looked at as a cause of the current problem. On an interference engine that is significantly over revved, the valves will be bent due to contact with the pistons, and the damage will usually be restricted to those parts.

How long was your engine running without oil pressure after the first accident? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only repair made to the engine was a new oil pan. It sounds like the catastrophic failure of your engine is a result of previous damage the engine suffered due to lack of lubrication. It doesn't take much of a problem with lubrication to start wiping bearings.

I would contact your insurance company and let them know that the engine that they repaired previously has let go. Obviously it wasn't completely repaired the first time, and I would expect the insurance company to make your car whole again.

Good luck, and hopefully you'll be back on track soon.
Appreciate 3