02-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #94
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Hey Tom - purchased a F3X switch body on Ebay for $30 from a used parts service in the UK - whole part was as new - great buy. Put both lower and upper switches in however the upper (front) fog light switch has amber light but the lower (rear) fog light has no active light!! When depressed the icon in the dash comes on and the lights are coded and do come on - do I have a faulty LED or diode in the OEM assembly or does this somehow also ned to be coded - Again there was no light on when switches were out but one was on for the upper light. Problem now is I'd have a hard time convincing the dealership to fix this under warranty as technically it is not legally in use in the US, right?
I ran into a similar issue when I was trying to install the rear fog button in my old e92. It looks like the LED or the controller chip on the board are not present in the US switch. It makes sense actually. Why would they put an LED in the US switch boards when we never have a rear fog setup? There is no coding you can do to make that light come on as the required components are simply not present on the board.

You have a couple options I think:

1. You have the UK switch module. You can reassemble it and install it as a whole. It will have the required LED and should work as normal. The only downside is you will have a non-functional headlight leveling wheel.

2. You can live with the rear fog button not lighting up.

3.a You can fully disassemble the UK switch module and take a look at the board inside. It might be possible to replace the board in your OEM switch module with this one. That way the button will light up but you can get rid of the useless wheel. This assumes you can install the UK board in the US switch.

3.b Another option would be to analyze the traces on the board and figure out what component(s) are missing from the US switch. If you have soldering abilities you can transfer the missing components from the UK board and the US board. This option does risk damage to the OEM module which could render it inoperable.

Last edited by jwzimm; 02-15-2016 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 1