CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
Thanks for your input. What is strange though is now the uneven deposits got there in the first place. I never drive anywhere near as aggressive in the winter as I do in the rest of the year, so if I don't get this problem when it is warmer (and the pads and rotors are warmer), why is it that this happens in the winter when conditions should be less conducive to pad transfer? Is it related to salt, corrosion or other issues uniquely present in winter, which create the chemical conditions for this to happen?

Since I don't know the root cause for this to happen in the first place, I haven't figured out how to proactively prevent it (aside from being very careful not to press down on the brake pedal when stopped if there is any question about heat being in the rotors/pads - which I have been extremely cognizant of for the past few winters, yet the problem keeps happening).

As far as the remedy for the issue - normal street driving when the pads are in "abrasive" mode - obviously a track pad (RS29) with normal street driving will be more abrasive than the OEM stock pads. However, given a greater amount of time/miles, would it be safe to say that normal street driving with OEM pads should (at least in theory) make the problem eventually go away? (But once again, I was doing normal street braking BEFORE the problem occurred, yet the vibrations surfaced anyway).

Classic what came first - the chicken or the egg dilemna...
I avoid swapping to street pads too early after a track day. By street driving my track pads for a few day, the strong low temperature abrasive friction of track pads will wear down the transfer layer that is on the rotors. I then have a clean rotor surface on which to bed my street pads on. If you swap out to fast to the stock pads, they struggle to wear down the track pad deposit and will not bed properly.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0