View Single Post
      08-31-2021, 10:49 PM   #18
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcompound View Post
I went with welding in the OE belt mounts. Mis-installed belts are worthless, I would rather use the factory 3 point belts than some hack solution.

It was not cheap. The whole interior (carpeting) had to be removed, brackets welded in place, repaint the floor to prevent rust, reinstalled interior and installed belts. Look at the videos of mis-installed belts to see the dangers.

This is not a subject for the uninformed well intentioned shade tree mechanic.
Not sure what the insinuation is here. The Brey-Krause kit attaches the harnesses in the same way as factory race cars with sliders (911 Cup Cars, Ferrari Challenge, etc). It is perfectly safe and allows for adjustability for different drivers or simply to position the harnesses correctly for maximum effectiveness in a crash.

I would caution against thinking the OEM solution is always superior. If you are above 5'9", the OEM Euro buckets and chassis mounting points are not safe due to the incorrect installation angles they create in the harnesses relative to the driver. As you undoubtedly are aware, the OEM mounting points are not in any way adjustable.

In any case, 5/6 point belts in this car maybe create false sense of security. They will hold you in more securely and may help to an extent in a frontal collision. However, this is a road car that is not even remotely close to complying with any serious race series regulations with regard to crash protection, be it cage, seat mounting, etc. If you get in an accident at high speeds, you will likely be seriously injured or killed, half-cage and 6-points or not.

Last edited by 4play; 08-31-2021 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00