View Single Post
      09-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #20
rcompound
Trackwarn
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Not sure what the insinuation is here. The Brey-Krause kit attaches the harnesses in the same way as factory race cars with sliders (911 Cup Cars, Ferrari Challenge, etc). It is perfectly safe and allows for adjustability for different drivers or simply to position the harnesses correctly for maximum effectiveness in a crash.

I would caution against thinking the OEM solution is always superior. If you are above 5'9", the OEM Euro buckets and chassis mounting points are not safe due to the incorrect installation angles they create in the harnesses relative to the driver. As you undoubtedly are aware, the OEM mounting points are not in any way adjustable.

In any case, 5/6 point belts in this car maybe create false sense of security. They will hold you in more securely and may help to an extent in a frontal collision. However, this is a road car that is not even remotely close to complying with any serious race series regulations with regard to crash protection, be it cage, seat mounting, etc. If you get in an accident at high speeds, you will likely be seriously injured or killed, half-cage and 6-points or not.
The message is do your homework. OE solutions, as flawed as they can be are tested, warrantied, regulated by governments, associations and industry standards. Aftermarket solutions can be very clever and cost effective but range from straight out copies of OE parts without any quality checks, production standards or industry standard testing to engineered and tested quality products. I worked in the OE and IAM automotive market and you would be stunned by the lack of quality standards.

There are suppliers to the IAM that do adhere to industry certifications/standards that provide tested solutions. That is the first thing to look for in safety items.

Belts/restraints are very technical subjects that require exact installation. I have seen many 5/6 point belts installed with the shoulder belts mounted to rear seat belt attachments and the sub belt over the front of the seat.

Finally safety is an evolving topic. For example lap belts for 5/6 point harnesses have gone from 3" to 2" (Schroth), helmet restraints have evolved into Hybrid devices and finally the BMW NA driving schools are conducted without helmets - Their reasoning is the car is fully secured with retractable belts, airbags and crush zones and not engineered for a driver wearing a 3# helmet.

I would like more information about the following:

"I would caution against thinking the OEM solution is always superior. If you are above 5'9", the OEM Euro buckets and chassis mounting points are not safe due to the incorrect installation angles they create in the harnesses relative to the driver. As you undoubtedly are aware, the OEM mounting points are not in any way adjustable."

Given that the M4 GTS was offered in Germany with the belt/seat combination, I would like more information. Thanks for the comment.

Just as I thought. SILENCE. Don't waste your time, money. Six point belts are the evolution of 5 point belts. Safety systems are tested to perform. Like I said before, Just stay with the factory 3 point before you engineer your own safety system.

Last edited by rcompound; 11-28-2023 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Added content
Appreciate 0