Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
no one said it would be worse

once and for all, what I said was that 3kg loss in weight (which im not even sure how you quantify because it doesn't seem like they even designed a hydraulic system in the first place, so how do you quantify weight loss vs a system that was never designed) was not a significant factor in the decision to go electric vs hydraulic.

its not like they said, well, we were gonna go hydraulic but we can save 3kg using electric so lets do that. they did it for financial reasons, and that's fine. I just don't understand even bringing up the weight loss as a factor in the decision because IMO it was basically irrelevant towards deciding to go electric vs hydraulic.

I am sure they will dial in the electric system well, and I will almost certainly buy an m3 unless audi brings the rs3 and it has a manual.

Ive driven a new 991 with the electric steering and IMO its better in every way than the 997, including the steering. So I am in no way anti-EPS
Thanks for the clarification (I believe it is others that have made comments that indicate that the EPS will suck...)

It should be fairly easy for them to quantify the difference between a EPS and hydraulic system. They know what components are needed for both systems and also know the weight of components for both systems, so a quantification should be easy peasy The degree of detail in engineering is immense and they will easily know the difference in weight between two such systems. And, today cars and systems are computer designed. No need to actually build a system and weigh the actual components...

But in this circumstance I believe it's just as simple as making a list of necessary components, with known weight, needed for EPS vs Hydraulic:

Hydraulic system:
-Hydraulic pump
-Steering rack with hydraulic circuitry
-Hydraulic reservoir (with fluid)
-Hydraulic lines/hoses

EPS:
-EPS unit attached to steering linkage (like steering column)
Appreciate 0