View Single Post
      11-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #153
ZGM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
It is my understanding the M3/M4 will use the same electric steering system in the new Porsche 911 GT3 which has received rave reviews.
This is the first that I heard about BMW using the same system as the GT3. It is my understanding that the software is much more important that the type of unit installed, so lets hope that BMW figures this out. Plus the GT3 benefits greatly from the rear wheel steering which the BMW won't have.

I certainly hope that the electric steering system in the new M3/4 will be great but I will have to hold my breath until there are some reviews from people that don't work for BMW, and I get to drive it myself.

It will all come down to the software and for some reason it doesn't seem that easy to reproduce the feel of the hydraulic assist.
Look at Porsche: the GT3 has the same mechanics as the 911 but the GT3 has much better steering feel and response (rear steering??). Many people that own the current 911 are hoping that there is a software update so that their car's steering numbness is removed and brings it closer to the GT3 but it hasn't happened yet.
Appreciate 0