07-27-2015, 04:10 AM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
What would you recommend for winter ED?, will be there the 23rd trough the 27th of November to pickup my M3, heading back to the US on the 28th. I would really like to do the some of the alpine passes but it does not look like I will be able to because of the time of year?
First you will need a set of winter tires/wheels. Many places near the Welt will rent you them. I think you should have a few different plans on where to drive... bc your route will depend a lot on mother nature. Many of these passes close on the first heavy snow fall of the year. That Normally happens around Oct/Nov. So IF your lucky... you might be able to drive a pass or two.

Also IF its raining in say Munich.. when you get above 700 meters and then again above 1,500 meters... you will have snow and ice. So again... you might get half way up a pass - only to turn around.

One road which is nice is the Bundesstraße that runs around Berchtesgaden. Its a nice tight curvy road.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Berch...47.6301796!3e0

IF your into history you could check out Hitler's Eagles Nest and the documentation museum there. You can take a bus ride up to Eagle's Nest from there.

http://www.obersalzberg.de/obersalzberg-home.html

Also be sure to visit the Zum Turken hotel's tunnels. While the documentation museum is cool... its all clean and sterile. At the Zum Turken, its STILL creepy and dark. Its a very cool insider's tip place to visit.

http://www.hotel-zum-tuerken.com/hotel.html

Another idea would be to drive Germany's version of the Tail of the Dragon... namely the Tatzelwurmstraße. Its less than an hour South of Munch and its a nice road to drive. I would start out in Brannenburg, then drive to Bayrischzell from there you could drive to the Bayrischzell(Lake area) or even see the Tegernsee(lake) and into Austria.

One of my all time favorite hotels is the:

Hotel Seminar Kraftquelle Schlossblick
Embach 1
6320 Angerberg
Austria

Kufstein(Austria) is near by and a cool city to visit. Also Swarovski Kristallwelten is not too far from here - maybe for the Mrs.

Another place to visit before you start on the Tatzelwurmstraße would be the Café Winklstüberl in Fischbachau. It's very famous for its homemade cakes and pies. This place is really old school Germany! Be prepared to wait on busy weekend days. I would come during the week, though. Most Germans even have trouble understanding the THICK Bayrische accents from this area. Another great thing about this area is the roads are GREAT FUN to drive.

Café Winklstüberl
Leitzachtal Str.68
83730 Fischbachau

Another great road to drive is: Soelden (6450 Soelden, Austria) to Timmelsjoch Hochalpenstraße. This is a really nice section of Alpine road. You will probably recognize many sections of this road from BMW(& Porsche) videos and even James Bond films.

I hope this helps give you some ideas. Just hot me up for any questions you might have.

Dackel
Appreciate 0