Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
The m3 race cars are carbon monocoque chassis with a 6 speed xtrac tranny and a P66 motor that shares nothing with the production car. The only M3 that was homologated for racing was the first M3. The 997 GT3 is the homologated race car for the road. Same engine chassis, etc. only swap is the fuel cell and 6 speed replaced by a dog box tranny.
Ok, I am calling BS on this. You are right, there is a significant difference between the race version of the m3 and the retail version, though the engine has to retain the same displacement as the production 4.0 L V8, there are significant differences between some of the engine components, suspensions, drivetrain, body panels, ect...That being said there still a lot of components and parts that it shares with the retail version. Check out this Car and Driver article for the comparison: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...r-feature-test

But there is also a significant difference between the street legal gt3 rs and the gt3 cup car (which is not street legal) used in the professional racing. This article from bloomberg doesn't go into as much detail on specific parts, but there is easily a $100k difference between the 2 porsches.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...et-review.html

Read the section on 'Number Crunching.' Every time they drive these things, the techs and engineers are fiddling with the suspension. It costs $3,000 per hour to operate. If you think they simply take a 911 gt3 rs and simply swap the fuel cell and transmission and race them on the pro circuit, you are kidding yourself.

Quote:
Also, i think your logic is wrong. When a car is sold for much higher prices used, it was under priced from the dealer not over priced. My 997.2 RS was $136k. A car that appreciates? that's a value for the customer. The F10 is a 2013 residuals are 49% after 3 years.
No it wasn't underpriced from the dealer. It sold at x amount, which I argue is overpriced simply because porsche likes to jack up their retail prices. Because it is a special, limited edition, it is rare, and on the used market, it sells for an even higher price (X+rarity cost=y). The only reason the used retail price got as high as it did was because this model was overpriced to begin with.

And for the 2nd time, that wasn't the type of value I was referring to in my original thread. I was arguing that porche's MSRP (brand new) was too high for the performance, quality, exotic feel,ect. that you were getting.

Quote:
The only car that BMW has that competes with Porsche's GT3 in desirability is the 1M. Used prices reflect it. I'm still kicking myself for not going for one when I had the chance
Yes, the 1M is unique as hell, but that thing doesn't compete nearly as well with the gt3 in terms of performance. The M3 is much more comparable performance wise, let's leave exclusivity and model rarity out of the discussion.
Appreciate 0