View Single Post
      10-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashir View Post
You know when they are coming at you with that kind of defensiveness that they are either having some emotional attachment to your negotiation, or they just think that's a tactic that's going to work often enough that it's worth it.

It's not excuseable though, and I've had my own share of bad behavior from salespeople. One time years ago BMW sent me a card that invited me to test drive the brand new model 7 series and salesman was immediately hassling me about why I was there if I didn't want to buy a car. I'm guessing I was probably the 50th person in there with that test drive invitation card. Well I ordered an M4 a few years later but not from that dealer.

Another time when I was shopping for the M4 the salesman started the negotiation at 3k off msrp, which is around what all the dealers do here to start off anyway. Seems when he realized that I wanted to order a car and not buy one on the lot he got upset and rescinded the 3k off and just for fun I asked him if he would take 2k off and he huffed a big no. Guess he must have known I was walking off the lot at that point.

I think a lot of them try to come at you lecturing as a show of "strength" of their negotiating position. They think that if they can come at you so strongly, risk insulting you, that you're more likely to think "oh they are not going to negotiate, look how strong they are, I must be too far off." I don't know who that works on, but it doesn't work on me and just makes me not want to do business with them.

I think they are banking on the customer not having the mental energy to put the effort in to shop around, and them acting like shopping around is some kind of crime is pretty funny.
Im not sure what he was trying to accomplish. Some weird power play lol.

Wow that sounds like an annoying experience if you were just curious to drive the car.

It must be a negotiating tactic in his head because that stuff doesn't fly at this level. Maybe at a honda dealership but I've not had such a freaking out response. Not only that, the audacity to lecture me. I dont think any of us need advice on how to negotiate or understand economics.
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00