CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post
It eliminates parts. The germans like to reduce everything to the simplest form. Who needs a drum brake inside the rears? Electric parking brake simply engages the rear caliper with a small motor, likely the same motor as ABS and traction control.
, but anyhow...

You are missing a key point to the benefit of the separate parking drum brake. I see you track your car, so it should be useful to you. With a combined parking brake that applies the brake on the rear disc through the caliper, you cannot use the hand brake after a session on the track. The hot pad material will put some deposits on the disc that will cause brake shudder. Not so with the separate drum brake. You can use the parking brake even if the discs and pads are hot. I do it all the time and never had an issue.

You don't need an electronic parking brake to squeeze the rear calipers. Most manufacturers simply use a mechanical cable to link the lever to the caliper. Further, I am not even sure it would be legal to use the same hydraulic system for the parking/emergency brake. The whole point of the secondary brake system is to have a back up in the case of a hydraulic failure of the main braking system.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-01-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0