12-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #99
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
Maybe. But until we know the specifications of the turbos this is all just shooting-the-sh*t.

If a full-bolt-on 335i is capable of 450ish hp (or whatever, not sure of that #), and the limitations are not fuel-related, I do not see how the F8X is going to be able to do much more than that. The golden rule needs to be repeated more on this forum than it is: There is no replacement for displacement.

Now yes, this engine is more robust, can take more boost, has forged internals, etc but NONE of that matters if the small and quick-spooling turbos on this car just can't flow.
FI is a replacement for displacement... A 3l engine with a boost of 1bar has the same performance potential as a 6l NA engine... (but obviously a 4l engine at the same boost is potentially as strong as a 8l engine... So yes, displacement still makes a difference, but FI is a different way of increasing effective displacement).

And I believe the turbos combine quick spool up and good flow, see my post above for details. Since the S55 turbos operate at 200.000rpm (50.000 more than in NeXT years F1 engines), a small turbine with a large wastegate can spin a fairly big compressor wheel and make good boost even at low rpm's (due to high rpm of turbine shaft).
Appreciate 0