12-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #149
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
IMO, the M car has always been factory tuned standard cars except for a few. The M1, E60 M5 and E90 M3 are exceptions due to their insane and unique engines. Engines that reaches far beyond their price point ( well the M1 was more fairly priced ).

Now we are back to normal in this regard. From specifications I regard the M4 to be an upgraded and tuned 435i. BUT it is this obsessive tuning,attention to details, years of testing on top of what the standard car already gone through that results in the M magic we all experienced that is worth every penny charged. However the F10 M5 showed us that the M formula does rely on that the bones are good. It's just so much M can do when left with hot rodding a boat.
Even though the straight six engines in previous M3's also are quite "exotic", they are not as crazy as the S65/85. I would say that the M88/S38 M1 and M5 engines conceptually are quite close though as that engine is based on a racing engine.

Whether we will see such "crazy" engines in M cars remain to be seen, but the S65/85 was probably the culmination of NA M engines...

BTW, there are many pleased F10 M5 owners and even positive magazine reviews. So it's not all doom and gloom
Appreciate 0