09-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #16
BOOstJunkee
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Turbo/335awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
With all due respect, I think you're wrong, I'm not saying that trap speed is not a better indicator of the performance then just the 1/4 mile time but in this case, trap speed wont tell everything. It wont tell which car accelarate faster at the beginning and end of the 1/4 mile, it just tells you how fast they are passing the line!

What I'm saying is that I think that even if an E9x trap a bit slower the an F8x, it could still mean that on the highway, at higher speed, the E9x will be faster. Take the 1M again as an exemple, it's a ~110mph trap car, a stock manual e9x M3 is a ~111mph, despite them trapping very close to each other, the 1M at highway speed can't even dream of competing angainst the M3! The way I would explain those similar traps is that the 1M accelarate faster then the M3 at the beginning of the 1/4 mile while the E9x accelerate faster at the end, which would mean that on a highway pull like in this video the 1M would have no chance even if they have similar traps!
I understand your stance, however, I think your figures for the 1M are a little off. From what I remember at the track, the 1M is a 107mph car in the quarter. I've seen other figures of 106 and 108. The E9x M3 traps higher and does the 1/4 faster. So I think your numbers make your theory incorrect. A 1M isn't that far behind an E9x M3 in the quarter and is a few mph slower, but from a highway roll, the 1M should get pulled on bc of the mph difference it has in the 1/4 trap speed. Comparing 1/4 trap speeds is a good way to determine an idea of the outcome in a highway race. Yes, other factors play a part, but if things like driver ability, traction, etc are all equal.... I would expect the car with the higher 1/4 trap speed to have the edge in a highway race.
Appreciate 0