07-28-2020, 05:05 AM   #7
DanTheMan83
Registered
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 2019 - A3 SLine - ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Hi All,

I've spent a number of years over on E90 post and have been thinking about jumping over into an F82 M4 (and my first M car).
I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in my 335i, from being a daily commuter to blasting round the track, but the latter was where it struggled and has ever since always made me want an M car that is more suited to that more spirited side of driving, even if going on track is a rare occasion. With the G80 looking like it won't be for me, looks wise at least, I've focused my attention on the M4.

As long term owners, I'd like to ask you a few questions which will help me decide whether the move is right for me as I'm a little hesitant based on the below. I'd be looking to get something like a fully loaded 2019-ish comp pack year car.

• Suspension and stiffness of the ride - 335i has been used as a daily 99% of the time, going up and down the motorway everyday, some of which is the rubbish old loud concrete surface. Is the M4's ride going to drive me nuts with the road noise and stiff set up? Is the set up pretty stiff even in comfort mode?
  • Is the spiky nature of the power delivery sorted in LCI versions or is that still a character of the car?
  • I'd like to understand whether the reports of it being a handful are honestly true. I don't drive like crazy on the roads but if I am sat at the lights, TC on and just boot it, is it literally going to try spit me off the road?
  • Creaks and rattles! Sorted out in the LCI and later years or are doors still rattling whilst driving? Im reading conflicting reports that F series cars are not as well built as those before and others that say the complete opposite.
  • The DCT in my car can be fairly jerky at low speeds and when stuck in traffic, is it an improved version in the M cars?
  • Is steering feel and feedback going to be something I'm going to notice as being worse moving from hydraulic -> electric?
  • Less important but do the OPF fitted cars still make that lift off 'bark' sound you can clearly hear in the early cars, or has that all now been muted out?
  • Are any of you thinking of changing to something new now that the production run has ended or do you still find it modern enough for your tech needs?

I appreciate a lot of the above are going to be purely individual opinions. I only managed a quick test drive on the road but in my excitement foolishly only paid attention to the power and not more of the car as a whole, hence wanting to hear the opinions from others.

Many thanks
I recently picked up a pre-reg 69 Plate non comp M4 and coming from an 2015 M135i.

I've found the M4 so much more comfortable and i was expecting it to harsh and extreme all the time but it really can be a comfy cruiser as well as a beast. Plus is feels so planted at speed feels, secure and in control.

Power delivery feels good and not spikey to me.

DCT can very rarely be jerky if you are in sport in car park say but that is rare. I'm still getting use to it though coming from a manual it being my first auto/DCT.

All I can say, is that the M4 is epic!! It is my first M Car also and I've always wanted one since I was a kid. It doesn't disappoint.
Appreciate 1
AD18350.50