03-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #148
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkronq View Post
I had my first ever track day this past weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park 2.2 mile road course. I ran 10 laps in two sessions. The first a 4 lap and the second a 6 lap. I have a bone stock 2017 manual F80 comp. I had an absolute blast and I think I am now an addict as I can't wait for my next time out. A couple questions for the group.

1) toward the end of each session I was experiencing a spongy brake pedal. I assume it was due to overheated fluid since I did have brakes but the pedal travel was longer and softer. My car has only 23k miles and fluid was flushed 3k miles ago per the dealer. Should I change to a high temp fluid like castroil?

2) I do think I should change brake pads. I looked at Akebono as a hybrid track/street pad but got a bit of sticker shock. From reading this post and others Ferodo seems to be the pad of choice. Is this a good street and track pad?

3) Tire pressure: my cold tire pressure was 33. On the track after a few laps with heated tires my pressures went up to 38-40 pounds. That seem very high to me. Should I be starting with a lower cold tire temp?
Stock pads during that event? Change those and report back after the next event prior to changing fluid.

36-41PSI hot is right based on my experience, but others here may prefer to run less. Make sure to check with an actual tire gauge if possible.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0