11-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #91
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet View Post
I am pretty sure we have already debunked the 3300lb myth. Based on weight-loss %'s straight from BMW, I believe the popular current story is that the weight of the car, with no driver but with all fluids, is between 3450 and 3550 lbs.

(correct me if I am wrong, guys)
And to add to it, I'll maintain--as always--that I've never been optimistic about these weight savings, but BMW (and M specifically) is fanning the flames with this specific weight figure.

You're talking about weight loss percentages "straight from BMW," but Albert Bierman himself is the source of the 3306 lb speculation. I won't do the math for you, but read on for the "1500 kg" figure offered.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=915648

Now, in Biermann's defense, he never unequivocally states that they ACHIEVED the sub-1500 kg goal, but he's the one putting that number out there, and he even uses it as the rationale for cost-cutting in other areas ("we saved money to spend on cutting weight more aggressively" followed immediately by his unsolicited offering of a 1500 kg weight figure). If the car is 150 lbs heavier than this claim, there will be a lot of unhappy folks, and BMW/M will only have themselves to blame. Car mags aren't coming up with these numbers on their own.
Appreciate 0