07-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #192
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
But, in engineering terms there are really two different V8 concepts: Either with a cross plane crank or a flat plane crank. Within those two concepts you can obviously go to extremes and have multiple variations on the theme. So, in the area of "state of tune" the S65 is obviously closer to a Ferrari V8 than it is to a Chevy V8 in a Suburban. But so is the BLS engine (although not as close as the S65). And with tuning the BLS engine can come even closer to the S65. That is just down to "tuning". So yes, in terms of exploiting the potential of maximum output the S65 is closer to a Ferrari engine.
I also disagree with this. Yes the crankshaft is at the heart of any engine and does represent a major design decision. However, the sum of the other design decisions contribute more to engine character. To me tuning means software or simple bolt ons and again those are not what distinguish a BLS V8 from the S65.

Quote:
But that just reinforces my point. If we concede that the S65 is in just as high a state of tune as a Ferrari V8 and with similarly highly developed hardware. Then what is the only difference between them? The crankshaft!!! That is what, according to engineers, Ferrari and everyone else, is the deciding factor when deciding what kind of engine you need. If you want a comfortable, vibration free etc. engine: Go cross plane. If you want to build a high performance engine AND be willing to trade off NVH issues: Go flat plane.
Agree.

Quote:
The S65 is comparable to the Maserati engine, since it has a cross plane crank. The P65 to the Ferrari since it has a flat plane crank. That crank design makes for a different sound and better exhaust scavenging.
The M145A in the MGTS does appear to be a good comparison to the S65, although down quite a bit on redline and specific output, it's power character matches the S65 fairly well and exhibits a better ability to rev and breathe (i.e. maintain torque at higher rpms) as compared to the BLS. Again, as mentioned above the Audi RS4 V8 is another good comparison.

Quote:
To my ears the sound is different, the flat plane crank engine doesn't have that cross plane "burble" at idle and medium revs. Under acceleration there is also a different sound.
There is no matching or replacing the very unique sound of a flat plane Ferrari V8. However, again, the videos I posted sound a heck of a lot closer to them then the BLS video you posted

Again good discussion, cheers.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0