2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Maybe you missed the the other 5 threads where I kept braying that I don't care if it's an M car or not but I'll reiterate; unlike you, I judge a machine based on its own merits, not what badge is on the back or what marketing strategy the manufacturer is pushing.

I wasn't trying to steal your [COLOR="DarkRed"]M[/COLOR] sunshine, just stating that fact that regular BMW comes with an LSD standard now, takes away the whole appeal of an official M car, IMHO. That was my point. The end.

I wasn't trying to steal your M sunshine.
Why did you exclude my entire explanation about how the M340i doesn't have the unique suspension geometry and unique sheet metal that usually differentiates an M car? Because then you couldn't make it seem like I'm being swayed by marketing and only you "judge a machine based on its own merits". The jump from the 330i sport to the M340i is basically just the engine. The jump from the M340i to the M3 is suspension, all body panels, interior. You don't think there's a much bigger jump between M340i and M3? I think the only ones who think the M340i is an M car are the ones that only care about straight line speed. Again, it's a great car but I don't consider it in the same league as the m3. Please don't edit my replies again to make it seem like I said something different.
Relax, I copy and pasted exactly what you said, I wasn't trying to hide your post. What's the point when anyone can go back to it.

You kept implying M cars are so great, why? It's just a machine with parts working in unison.

So tell me, what now makes an M car so superior beside the bragging rights?
The M340i still weighs more because it is more luxury focused. 0-60 times on the M340i X drive is still slower than the F80 and F82 CS. These are two different cars built for two different purposes. What's makes an M car superior to me might not matter to everyone because of how I use it. The M340 is just not performance focused enough for my liking. If it was the superior car for me,I would have gotten an M340i instead of the M3 CS. It really is that simple. For others, the M340i was the superior car, but again, for different reasons and uses. They probably only care about M bragging rights and 0-60 times. They don't care about road courses and handling enough to pay the premium. In all honesty, a lot of M owners don't care about handling either. It's just about bragging rights. However, there are a fair amount of us who actually track and care about the finer details.

What's nice about adding M to the M340i is that customers can now feel they have an M car without compromising luxury and convenience. Plus it's cheaper! It can reach a broader audience who couldn't previously afford the price of admission to the "M Club". The old eMvy (get it?) is now gone. Now M340i owners can look down on the 330i owners just like the M owners used to look down on the 340i owners! Lol, I kid but sadly there's probably more truth to this than we would care to admit.

I think this video sums it up nicely at the end:

What I don't really understand is, now that the new M340i owners are in the M Club, they want to take a shit on what made the M club special in the first place: the M cars. That's just human nature I guess.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0