General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Actually yes I am.

I'm mad because I loved my Euro Deliveries, love the idea of getting another generation of M car, and loved the amazing, soulful, bespoke engines BMW M was offering. I'm mad all that is gone.

I'm not a fan of turbo lag, tuned non-M engines being passed off as "M-Power", pedestrian sounds augmented with the stereo (LOL) or short shifting at 5500 RPM, all of which are realities of the new Ms.

Mad it's faster? Heck no. I'm embarrassed and surprised it's not faster than it is. Like I said, the diesel Audi was dominating LeMans. Didn't make me want a diesel "performance" car either.

I WANTED to want the new M3/M4.
I am with you. I struggle to be as enthusiastic about getting this new generation of M3(4) as I was getting my E46 and E92. With each successive iteration of the previous generations, I got more of what I liked. Now, with the F82, what I am getting is different. As you, I am (a little) mad about the engine and the DCT. I decided to take the leap of faith anyway, but I am not yet sure I will like it.

You are however being at bit harsh on some of the points you bring. Yes, the S55 will need to be short shifted. But at 7000~7300rpm, not at 5500rpm.

While it might not be as special as the S65, the S55 is a bespoke engine, not a tuned N55. Almost every component in the engine is unique. Yes, a tuned FBO N55 can make as much power, but for how long? After one lap it either heat soaks or goes in limp mode. That is where the ///M engineering went. I am still a bit wary about throttle response and the overall feel of the engine.

As for sound, to be honest, when I first got my E92, I preferred the sound of my old stock S54. I just loved how this engine screamed its lungs out at WOT nearing redline. The S65 sounded monotone almost video gamish in contrast. Three successive things I did drastically improved the sound of the car, MPE, K&N and BPMSport tune. Now the sound is pure bliss. I barely use the stereo anymore. I keep getting compliments for how good the car sounds from neighbors, track buddies or techs at the dealer. I am pretty sure the S55 will never match this.

I think the chassis will be fabulous though on this latest gen, and for me, this is very important.

I guess I will know for sure in a few weeks when I get mine. If I don't like it, I will just sell it and move on to something else .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-18-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0