View Single Post
      05-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #179
ZGM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
The Cayman is a great car, but it is underpowered, and feels like the car you settle for because you can't afford a 911. When P puts a 911 S engine in the Cayman and drops the price to M3/4 levels, I would consider a switch...

PS. It is hard to support a car company that suppresses a superior design so that old rich guys can have a trophy that needs to be over-engineered, and thus overpriced, to compensate for a flawed design. That's the engineer me.
I hope that you will finally be wrong after all these years of Porsche holding back against its own 911.

Pure Rumors but hoping:
Cayman GT4

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/5/1...e-911-7720341/

"A few days ago we caught our first glimpse of the Porsche Cayman GT4. And it looks fast. Really fast. Already an incredibly solid handler, the mid-engined Cayman has always been deliberately held back, so to speak, by Porsche so that it wouldn’t interfere with the 911’s prestige. The bottom line is that the smaller and far less historical Cayman could outperform the iconic 911. Porsche has so far been careful to avoid doing just that. Until now.

Although we don’t have any official specs, there’s a very good chance the Cayman GT4 will be the 911 killer Porsche said it would never build. So why the sudden change from Stuttgart? Good question, and here’s a possible answer: The current 991 generation 911 is capable of so much - just look at the Turbo and GT3 (when it’s not on fire). Why keep holding the Cayman back when there’s clearly room in the lineup to let it finally doing what it’s long been capable of: outperforming the 911 Carrera. So yes, the Cayman GT4 will likely beat the Carrera and probably even the Carrera S in matchup. The 911 Turbo and GT3, however, will remain untouchable." -carbuzz.com-

If this ever came to be a reality with the specs "guessed at" in this article then this could be one of the best track cars out there in the price range, and could be one hell of a fun daily/weekend driver. but would still most likely be at least $20k more than the M3/4..

Last edited by ZGM3; 05-23-2014 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0