07-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #58
ProbyOne
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TL / E93 M3 / 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Thanks. Although it is quick to do I don't want to analyze video after video. Anyone can do this with a plethora of free audio tools on any OS. A quick analysis of this one though around 4:24 indicated a much lower peak rpm than the 7000 rpm redline. The method is absolutely not 100% robust for all recordings but the baseline cases of the dyno runs completely convinced me that it can work. I suspect one reason here is simply the fact of internal vs. external audio. It's no doubt the design of passenger vehicles is to drown out a significant portion of engine and exhaust noise.
I also tested a few different dyno runs for various cars before convincing myself that it would work. With the right equipment it would be a pretty good way for racing teams to keep an eye (ear?) on the competition

I didn't have any good audio software on the computer and resorted to matching frequency by using this tone synthesizer http://www.philtulga.com/tone.html. Obviously Audacity is much more accurate with clear audio... I expected to be within ~5-10 Hz based on matching a few other cars really well.

I have a new appreciation for hitting the rev limiter on the dyno. We need someone to get out there with a good mic and radar gun