Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by strati1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgtrs2007
I don't get it. What did we do before we had the S65?! I think it sounds good and I can't wait to see the final performance numbers. I'm waiting to see, hear, and drive it before passing judgement.
Well before the S65, we had I6's without turbos so the sound is obviously different. I've always dreamed of an updated S54 (still NA) with a displacement increase to 3.4-3.8l with HP to match 350-400 in a light smaller package but BMW didn't ask me for my opinion.
I am In your boat but that developed s54-like NA in that displacement would never pass emissions if we were shooting for 400 crank. we can dream though.
Agree, very difficult to get the S54 to anything above 3.2 with any reliability. Given how thin the cylinder walls were, you'd have to further lengthen the already record-breakingly-long stroke to get a bigger motor.

Would add that Porsche was able to extract 608hp from a 3.8L N/A engine...but they were able to do that by tuning for peak HP...the torque portion being taken care of by a couple of electric motors.

Part of why BMW went to a V8 (other than the 33lb weight reduction and better weight distribution than the s54) was the ability to shorten the stroke and create a higher, flatter torque curve. Tuning the S54 for 400hp would produce v little low end grunt. Personally I don't mind a steeper torque curve as traction is already an issue in these cars...but the boosted crowd would chime in and tell us how much faster their JB'd N20 is to 30mph than the M car.
Appreciate 0