01-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #36
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Yup. I just drove back and forth from NY to Florida on I-95. Saw maybe 10 Tesla's going down and 4 coming back to NY. No exaggeration.

The majority of Tesla's are in Cali. And other urban areas. The rest of the US wants NOTHING to do with electric cars. They want huge F350s.

Colorado is California East at this stage in the game

It will take decades for the masses (in the US) to "adopt" EVs on a large scale.
Not just the US. There are massive expanses of land all over the world that there's simply no way one could justify the cost of putting charging stations at every corner. There's simply not enough volume. Metro areas, sure, but the percentage of land occupied by metro areas is minuscule compared to rural areas around the world.

I'm also not convinced in the economics of it. Sure it's easier to "steal" electricity to charge EVs than it is to steal gas, but realistically, operating an EV is hardly cost-free. Privatization of charging stations will surely drive up prices, and as demand goes up for charging stations and down for gas stations, fueling costs will no longer be a determining factor. Incentives are disappearing, so there's also that.

That all said, I think an EV could work for me as a daily driver in the same way any "toaster" would. Maybe something cheap that I'd be ok parking anywhere and driving it until the wheels fell off. The Model 3 could serve that purpose, it's so ugly that I couldn't care less if it gets scratched up or door dinged. Problem is that it's just WAY too much money to pay for a toaster.

Autonomous? No thanks. I'm not so fucking lazy that I can't drive my self around, not to mention that it promotes bad (ie potentially fatal) driving habits in a populace that already has trouble paying attention behind the wheel.

Last edited by TheBreeze; 01-18-2020 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 1