06-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
Love the bling under the hood, but I'm just curious, what is the point of this for a car that isn't just used for tracking? Does this increase the flow of oil to the oil cooler before the thermostat opens? Would this actually increase the efficiency of the air/oil radiator when the thermostat is open? And don't you want warmer oil when you're in efficient mode so that you can burn off the water in the oil and keep the engine as efficient as possible for daily driving? Once the thermostat is open (or you've put it in Sport + mode) the oil is now flowing to the oil cooler and will cool the oil until it reaches the temperature the ECU has deemed to be cool enough and then it closes. Does the flow increase measurably in that situation too?
These points are why I can't see myself bothering with this. On the street it's arguably not as good for the engine as running hotter, especially since the S55 doesn't run too hot anyway. If you're tracking, you've either got enough cooling capacity or you don't and a thermostat that opens a little earlier doesn't matter. Maybe if you've got huge power and only do drag racing.
Appreciate 0