Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
assuming the probability is less than one percent.
We don't yet know what, why or how often for this issue. Some people argue that the DCT quick/hrd shifts apply enough jolt to the crankhub bolt to make it loosen up, wear down the threads or eat away the friction discs. I am not arguing that theory. However, if wear and tear for whatever the reason is part of the cause then we could very well see more failures in the future.

I am going to drive a little less agressive, avoid downshifts, not tune for burbles until we know more. These cost me nothing. Once we can narrow down the why then I'll cough up the money for the fix.
If that's true, why worry? Why worry about the likelihood that you can be in an accident any time you're on the road. Or that every time you fly, the flight your on can have catastrophic failures?

It's because it's not as common as it seems. This forum exacerbates the issue because the inherent make up of the people who post. I am not worried and neither are the x% of people who have never been on the forums which is a lot of people. Ignorance is bliss and stress about a low percentage issue is dumb. Drive your car and enjoy it.
Sure "low percentage issue", but one that can potentially cost you a motor. $15K - $30K bill is not something to sneeze at. My tech at the dealership has already had 3 cars come in for SCH. That's just 1 tech that I deal with. It always boils down to personal comfort level when it comes to insurance, which crank hub upgrade exactly is. Hell, I look at it as preventative maintenance. Very similar to the rod bearing jobs on S65. If you're stock, no track time and drive moderately on the street, you could argue chances are you'll be fine. We don't know if mileage is a factor as these cars are still pretty young, but I'd agree with the gentleman from earlier today that logically more wear could add to it slipping eventually. With that said, if you're tuned or even stock but drive this car the way it's intended, I see the upgrade as the right thing to do. Especially this VTT kit that's cheaper and easier to install, which ends up being less than a exhaust system or a nice set of wheels.