United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
▀▄ eas | DIY: Valentine One Radar Detector Hardwire

My V1 radar detector has never let me down. Its like a trusty co-pilot I've had for years, and usually one of the first things to do to a new daily.

I've never been a fan of the telephone cord visible on the windshield. While V1 has recently released the Savvy, it's just additional clutter in the cabin area and I'd probably end up taking it out with a wild kick by accident one day. Instead, we'll be hardwiring the V1 to turn on/off with the ignition.

Items Needed
- Valentine One Radar Detector
- Valentine One Hardwire Kit
- RJ11 Interface Cable
- (2) ScotchLock wire clips (not pictured, Red 18-22AWG)
- (2) Male Spade connectors (18-22AWG)

1. Start by crimping the spade connectors onto the hardwire kit.

2. Pull off trim plate on sunroof panel/light cluster.

3. With a small pocket screwdriver, press the retaining tab while slightly pulling on sunroof module and work out of place. There are (2) retaining tabs on opposite sides.

4. Remove plastic mirror housing by pulling apart. Crimp ScotchLocks onto wires as follows: Green/Brown Stripe & Brown/Black Stripe.

5. Route Power/Ground leads through headliner to exit by driver's side of rearview mirror.

6. Pull some slack on connecting leads by driver's side of rearview mirror.

7. Connect spade connectors to ScotchLocks as follows: Green/Brown = +12V Switched/KL30 & Brown/Black = Ground.

8. Connect RJ11 cable to [MAIN] port on V1 Hardwire Kit.

9. Reinstall mirror housing, route RJ11 cable through headliner to driver's side of mirror.

10. Reinstall remaining trim pieces and plug into RJ11 port on V1. Press START button and test.

Install is complete. Verify V1 position is clear of headliner and does not interfere with sun visor.

This and much more covered in our journal thread here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1020487.

Enjoy and safe driving out there!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 03-21-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 8