View Single Post
      05-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #139
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by car7 View Post
It was 3 sentences. Americans shouldn't complain about the move from a 8-cyl to a 6, because bmw never was about v8s. The s65 is a very nice sounding engine. But it is way to slow and way to inefficient. You could always buy a camaro, because there is no point in whining about something that's gonna happen regardless if you like the s65. The next m4 is gonna make the m3 look outdated in every way.
What is BMW about? When was the last time an M5 had an I6? It's been, how long, 15 plus years?

The M3 has been a 4, 6, 6, 8 and now back to a 6. So 6 is certainly the norm for the M3, but not the rule. And if you want to stay "pure" you should be saying it should be a 4.

The M5 has been a 6, 8, 10 and now back to 8.

Don't forget, BMW also said "no turbo M cars, no AWD M Cars, no M SUV's and no automatic transmission M Cars" as well. Times change, technology changes and so does philosophy, etc.

I am no luddite, but the S65 is an amazing engine with a lot of soul, and while I understand why BMW is making the move they are, it doesn't mean that I don't bemoan the loss of one of the greatest V8's ever.
Appreciate 0