View Single Post
      01-31-2019, 07:33 AM   #106
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
The OEM Pad will become soft and will smear itself on the rotor at a track like Laguna Seca if you drive in under 1:50. RS29 will not do that and will provide consistent braking. The clunking noise on the RS29 is due to the fact that it doesn't have the "stoppers" that the OEM pad has. Hence, it will move back and forth inside the caliper. It does get stopped by the pin, but there is still a decent amount of slop that results in the clunks.
Those ears that protrude off the pads aren't "stoppers." Like CanAutM3 said, they are counter weights to minimize vibrations and noise. They do not keep the pad in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
OK, now I better understand what you mean. Those are however not OE pads you are showing. On the OE pads, the additional plate you talk about is black. And yes, you are correct, it likely contributes to make the pad fit more snuggly in the caliper to prevent slap, but it also has an adhesive applied on it to prevent squeal.
Transfer the plate and you won't have knock. You're right that it is an "integral" part of the pad which is why it needs to be transferred to the aftermarket pads... They remove pretty easily if you can get something thin between the plate and the pad. Just don't bend them. The rubber padding on the back of the metal plate is there for noise cancellation, correct. And, the plate is glued to the pad for the same reason. Shims are a part of every brake pad on the market. I always glue shims to the pad using something like "CRC disc brake quiet" to prevent squeal. I then "glue" my Ti shims right on top of the stock backing plate/shim/whatever you want to call it using the same stuff.

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-31-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0