Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxoc View Post
The bend kit is the best one I’ve seen. I’m using an older style from a different company that is more difficult to install. The basic Ecutek or bootmod3 kits are a good value compared to that one.

Go one step further and get the ultimate. You should try to protect the engine from injectors sticking if you can. Idk if I buy that dirty injectors are the primary cause for them sticking, but it is a reason they can stick. It’s more likely running the fuel system at duty cycles and pressures that they weren’t designed to sustain. Ignition coils and spark plugs will wear faster as well.
I don’t think the issue is with the injectors themselves failing due to the different fuel characteristics of E85, per se, as they should last the life of the car when using clean, gasoline or E85. From what I have learned, the issue is when you use E85 with older cars. Specifically, sediment and other impurities can build up in the fuel system with age, especially in the gas tank. This is supposedly true even if you take care of your fuel system by using good, branded gas with the appropriate fuel additives.

Ethanol, specifically E85 due to its higher concentration of ethanol, is a really good solvent. In older cars with sediment in the tank or other “gum” from normal pump gas use, the E85 will “clean” the system, thus breaking loose any baked on gum. These particles are allegedly what make their way to the injectors, directly contributing to injector failure - especially for the high pressure injectors found in direct injection engines.

The theory is that the Bend kit with the filter will capture all of the displaced gunk from using E85, thus helping to protect your injectors and other critical fuel system components. Since my car has 50k+ miles on the clock, I think my car will benefit from such a filter setup when making the switch to E85 - even though I have always used branded gas and fuel system cleaners routinely.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1