10-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #153
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Sure the naming factor is related to the legacy of the M1. Rumor I heard though was that focus groups preferred M1 but the BMW Board made the final call on the name. However, the 1M is a "special" (literally less than special) M car in many ways. No other M car has been made from such a parts bin type of approach. BMW developed the car in record time (and I'm sure at record low cost as well). Some passionately call it a true M car, others don't. Of course I am the big, bad jealous M3 owner in the latter camp...
I really do like your comments and the way you back it up with scientific evidence.

But I do disagree, with all due respect, about your 1M opinion.

Yes the 1M is parts bin, yes it is a tweaked N54, but tweaked by ///M, yes it has an E92 chassis/brakes/wheels, yes they did it for cost effective reasons only, but hell yes what a car has been produced. That is not only my opinion, but the whole automotive industry and all world wide carmagazines/journalists.

It is totally irrelevant if this car is a real ///M car or not, (but 99% of all people who had the chance to drive/own one, say it is utterly ///M) this car is by far the best bimmer I have ever driven (did own E46 M3, E92 M3) only a E46 M3CSL will match this car in driving fun, overall speaking I dare to say the 1M is the best fun car ever made by BMW ( real ///M or not)

Yes there was little time for development, yes it was made and produced by a little group off enthusiasts, but they made the whole BMW board proud, this car was a revelation to the world, once again was made crystal clear what the potential off the BMW brand was, this car will be one for the history books. It is living history as we speak !

All future ///M cars will always be compared to the 1M, as it was really the beginning of a new era.

Last edited by Romo; 10-02-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0