04-04-2015, 03:52 AM   #48
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Not trying to be a hater... But there is almost no point doing all of these works unless you are stripping down the interior and going with a lightweight racing seats (you can probably save a 100lbs just be switching the seats alone, going with a stripped down interior would probably net another 100-300lb saving, but why are doing that to a brand new $80k M3 is the question)...

Most of the weights in any modern BMW are in the sound insulation and stock seats. And unless you racing competitivelyp, it would be just a waste of money. If you want faster times, spend the money on sticker tires and better driving skills instead.
Maybe the OP won't be completely stripping out the car, but other people will be. It is extremely useful to have this resource here.

I race in series overseas that use production cars, you are allowed to take certain things out, others have to stay. At the same time you add in weight with a cage etc. Also, the car has to comply to a minimum weight. If you are building a car for series like this it is extremely helpful to have a list of weight of all kinds of components. It may help you decide whether the car is going to work within the regulations etc.

Previously when I have built rally cars I have documented the weight of everything that comes out of the car, down to things like sun visors, small plastic trim panels, seatbelts etc etc. It provides others with a great resource

Thanks to the OP for putting this together. It is greatly appreciated
Appreciate 1