View Single Post
      12-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Race Seats / Dual Duty

Ok,

So I thought I would throw out here what I've found and see if anyone else found anything better. For race seats on the M3 I went with Sparco QRT-R seats with VAC Motorsports mounts and Sparco sliders. These seem to work pretty well for race harnesses and I think will be great for that purpose... (almost 16lbs btw with the sliders if your'e counting).

For daily driving I could put up with the race seat, but I need to be able to take non race folks out in my car, so a race seat in the passenger location isn't great. The other bigger issue is the stock seat belt mounts in the M3 are both bolted to the seat. The outer is a pretty easy solve, with it being able to be bolted to the same place on the VAC mount as the race harness goes. The inboard though is a fairly large L shaped item and doesn't really mount well. I could rig it for sure, but it would then have the seat belt wrapping over the seat instead of though the seat belt holes. No way around that that I can tell. While this may work it's not ideal and I'm not sure I would want to be in an accident with it mounted that way.

This leaves me with the option of swapping seats for each track day. That also requires coding out the airbags, seatbelts, etc... which I can do myself, but this just adds to the hassle of a track day.

Right now I'm thinking about switching to a Cobra Nogaro seat which is not near as agressive ( ), but could be left in the car daily and is meant to be used with either race harnesses or stock belts.

Anybody figure anything else out?
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0