Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplee View Post
Perhaps. My original order was placed for a 2015 435i Gran Coupe with M-Sport and Nav and M brake upgrade, etc. MSRP got too close to the real M car so I changed the order. Every package, every option, every price point seemed to be precisely engineered to guide me to rationalize the next higher priced choice. All were bang-for-the-buck based decisions, almost as if the lower priced items were just decoy products. Now my M3 is optioned to nearly $75k and the only thing stopping me from going to a pre-owned M5 is practicality and utility. It's all a big consumerism mind game if you ask me.
Okay this I agree with. The 435i M Sport is too expensive lol. You might as well but the M4. Good call
You're exactly right.

The fact that this reasoning holds true though reflects the new status of ///M cars as just another trim line to the Series models. If you can afford it, the ///M car is now the car for everyone. It isn't the harder-edged, more track focused model that compromises on comfort and luxury to cater to a small group of enthusiasts.

In my ideal world, an ///M3 isn't a "better" car than a 335i. It's a different car for a different purpose. A 335i that costs as much as an ///M3 wouldn't convince someone to "step up" to an ///M3 because the ///M3 wouldn't be a step up. The highly spec'd 335i would be a sporty and comfortable luxury car that beats the ///M3 in these categories (comfort and luxury). On the flip side, the motorsports or performance enthusiast would have the option of compromising the luxury and comfort of a good 335i for the performance of the ///M3.
Appreciate 0