View Single Post
      06-22-2021, 09:59 PM   #4706
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
yeah, my (poorly stated) point was a bit different. More that for those who do make it into the mix in a shitty market they end up being better partners in the long run than those who come out in really good/easy times (the virtue of adversity sometimes making a stronger end product)

but zero doubt that a lot of grads right now are being born on 2nd base in their legal careers and thinking they hit doubles.

Last time something this big happened in terms of the legal market was about 21 years ago (coincidentally right when i was coming out of law school). between the time most people in my class had their post-law school jobs lined up (which, back then, happened after 2L) and the time they started working a year later their salaries had all doubled. (not mine, as i went to clerk after 3L and...well, the government didnt play the 'compete with private sector' game....so that kind of sucked)

for about 7 or 8 years i helped do recruitment at our firm and witnessed the ebbs and flows from years where WE were chasing students to ones where there was more pressure on THEM to impress US and give them jobs. On balance, as i say, for those who were able to land and stick the gig at a firm like ours those who came through in tougher times are better lawyers.

on women, that is an even bigger perennial issue in BigLaw. we hire at least 50% of our first years as women. but they definitely leave to go in house, government, leave the law, etc, at much higher rates.

Interestingly (well, to me anyway ) i would say we have much lower attrition for women in litigation than the corporate lawyers do. Not sure if it is culture (probably) or also work control (litigation is much, much easier to juggle a schedule than one that depends on deal flow) but, say, last 5-8 years probably half the partners we've made in litigation are women as compared to a much lower # in corporate.

national newspaper has been doing a lot of coverage on this issue up here for the last year (which, to the relief of the pointy foreheads who run my firm, has not yet featured us...)

Also: the M176.M177 is a lovely engine.

minn19 do you get the hand-signed / one man-one engine job in your C63?
It is, I’ll see if I can get a pic posted in the next couple of days. Was at kids soccer all night tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
it's an interesting question why women leave law, corporate management, startups, etc ... and controversial to discuss

There's a theory that it's due to the good ole boys network & culture and that even corps w/ women CEOs have it since the woman essentially had to adapt to men's culture to make it to the top ... that's probably a large part of it ...

But in my anecdotal experience there's a few interesting observations:

(1.) I worked for 15 years in a heavily woman dominated division - for 80% of that time my bosses were women and 60%+ of my colleagues were women; they would all confide that they were frustrated women were leaving at the upper levels and they were never given good reasons why.

(2.) I work & have worked with a ton of startups, some mostly women and a few all women. I don't know any women founders or execs who keep working after they make their cabbage. like zero.

(3.) And, tangentially, more women are becoming badass muthafuckas than even before

she catches the fucking chair.
I’ve seen that video before and it’s got to be made up, but I keep watching it every now & then and it looks real.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18135.50
myzmak2415.00