02-05-2018, 08:00 AM   #84
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
@nars3000 , thanks for the recap of BM3 features. I am familiar with most of it, I was just curious what NEW game changer feature that sets BM3 from the pack. Personally and hypothetically, if I ever will tune my car, BM3 is the best offering out there, especially for the DIYers/curious types.

And I've read the OP few times, maybe it's the flashing speed, ENET cable and flash counter features? Which some BTW were demoed by another vendor. I may have downplayed the importance of those as the jury is out how important are the various "tune detection camouflage" techniques... Anyways, and regardless it is a nice new update to this platform
You are right to ask what the game changer is here. But as many have said, it's the combination of all those features and the convenience that the BM3 suite offers. OBD Unlock has been out for over a month now correct, but one of the key things here is the super fast flashing times using the same platform and ENET cable without needing any special third party cables. There is only one other competitor that offers unlock without using the Frieling cable, but to flash with their tool you are looking at around 35-40mins for single DME F-series cars (and double that for the M5). Not only is that a major inconvenience, but it also means you HAVE to have a charger/PSU connected. And since the F8X has a lithium battery, to get the proper PSU for it you are looking to spend $300-400 on a PSU.

The automation of the entire process is also something that deserves to be given credit to. Activation, receiving your first map, getting updates, flashing, etc is all fully automated. No wait times to get your map because it has to be manually created, and no worries of getting map updates in time. You see some tuners who do make an update to their map either send those update as per request basis (and having the customer wait quite a bit of time before they get it), or charge for the new revision/update because it is so time consuming and labor intensive. Try imagining if that had to be done manually to create new maps for your customers if you had a 1000? I know for a fact that its so time consuming that one particular tuner using the Frieling cable for his tool doesn't even provide customers with the stock map a long with the tuned map because he simply doesn't have the time to do so. He gives it on a per request basis.

The automation also extends to the flashing process. There is no need to manually backup coding before flashing and then reapply coding after a flash. It is all done for you automatically. I think there is a customer using a Frieling tool who already bumped into this problem because he forgot to backup his coding. Mind you the instructions for that customer clearly stated that step, but by having it automated is a major convenience and makes the process more fool proof.

Regarding the flash counter stuff, not that I care at all about that feature personally, but the demo video you are referring to is of no good if customers can't benefit from that feature No vendor currently offers flash counter freeze for their customers (even those who know how to do it). Plus, not sure if any of those vendors managed to do it successfully on a running car and not just a benched DME. In addition to flash counter freeze, PTF has managed to freeze your last flash date. i.e. the last flash date stamp remains the same to whatever date your car was last flashed on from the dealership/factory. I don't believe any vendor has done that. But again, personally I don't care about that, but credit has to be given.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 3
aboulfad1593.50
FSociety3812.50
euro*1659.00